TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Three individuals had been uncovered to rabies by contaminated cats just lately, in line with the Florida Division of Well being in Hillsborough County.
Well being officers mentioned the cats examined constructive for the virus Monday.
One publicity occurred within the space of Glen Harwell Street in Plant Metropolis after two individuals got here involved with white and grey stray cat.
The opposite publicity occurred within the space of East Financial institution Drive. One particular person was uncovered on this case by a black stray cat.
All of the uncovered people have begun vaccinations to forestall them from getting the illness.
“This incident serves as a reminder that folks ought to keep away from ‘neighborhood pets’ or any wild animal,” the well being division mentioned. “Some could also be tempted to feed or assist the animal, nevertheless it isn’t well worth the danger.”
The well being division urged individuals to take the next precautions to forestall exposures:
- Hold rabies vaccinations for home animals.
- Don’t let pets to run free.
- If a pet is bitten by a wild animal, see a vet.
- Don’t deal with, feed, or unintentionally appeal to wild animals with trash.
- Don’t carry wild animals in your house
- Hold kids away from unfamiliar animals
- Forestall bat infestations in buildings
If in case you have been bitten or scratched by an animal, get medical consideration and report the damage to the Florida Division of Well being in Hillsborough County at 813-307-8059.